Bottom Line on Electronic Libraries -Reply

Alain Vaillancourt NDGMTLCD at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Wed Oct 2 20:39:09 EDT 1996

> >      It's time you set up your local community/area/regional/
> > metropolitan digital library - for Jack and Jill AND Little
> > Joey.
>
> Didn't yahoo already do that? Don't forget yaholligans.
>
> --Thom

Not really, Yahoo is more like those beginnings of classification
systems that sprung up in mid-19th century during the first attempts
to organize the vast new amounts steam press printed wood-base
books.  Eventually, The Dewey system and the Cutter system
(transmogrified into LC) prevailed over the others and , with the
help of that other newfangled technology, the 3 by 5 card, managed to
organize those vast new masses of information.  Sears subject
headings and LC subject headings eventually helped out also.

Yahoo is just at the beginnings of a series of new tools to organise
Web information.  Possibly, there will be other services in the future
offering alternate classifications (I wish one would offer a
perfectly dichotomic hierarchy, that would really be an alternative!)
in ways that exploit more fully the Web's capacities.  The web's
graphic capacities are nearly ignored by Yahoo to give but one
example.  Nowhere do we get the chance to even SEE the intricate
branching tree created by the Yahoo hierarchies.  Ideally, of course,
we should be able to see this tree and be able to click on the
relavant branches and fruits to get to relevant points, but that is
more complex.

Au revoir!

Alain Vaillancourt