Bye Bye HyperText: The End of the World (Wide Web) As We Know It

Robb Scholten roscho at enterprise.bih.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 2 15:28:48 EDT 1996

I am inclined to favor a combination of quality index searching followed
by user interaction with the retrieval set to drill down into large
databases.  Interestingly enough the database retrieval system we use for
our databases has been doing this for years, long before anyone even coined
the term "neural net."  Because we knew that most endusers would use
keyword queries, we automatically map to indexes.  This is perhaps why
our retrieval sets continue to rank number 1 in every test conducted
since 1984.

The thing that I like about WiseWire is that not only can users rank
their own retrieval and "teach" the engine what is most useful to them,
but they can also invoke the search strategies of "experts" in the
field.  If I were a librarian today, I would call WiseWire up and
volunteer to impart my wisdom in the form of quality searches in
particular disciplines.

Robb Scholten
Clinical Computing
Beth Israel Hospital