Z39.50 symposium

Ted Stark tstark at mail.lib.state.ia.us
Wed Oct 2 14:44:05 EDT 1996

I thought Web4Lib might be interested in this:

As part of an HEA Title II-B grant from the U.S. Department of Education,
the State Library of Iowa has undertaken a  project to link Iowa libraries
using the Z39.50 IR standard.   To date, we have twenty databases
linked through a Web gateway using Z39.50.

http://www.silo.lib.ia.us/lib/lib-cat.html

Because of the importance of Z39.50 to our project, we are holding a
symposium.

What:  A symposium on the ANSI/NISO Z39.50 Information Retrieval
standard.  The SILO library network makes extensive use of Z39.50, a
national standard defining a protocol for computer-to-computer
information retrieval.

Who should attend:  State of Iowa Libraries Online (SILO) Z39.50 grant
participants, library administrators, library technical staff.

Keynote Speakers:
Ray Denenberg - Library of Congress
Technical editor and principal author of the Z39.50 standard.

Fay Turner - National Library of Canada
Internationally known expert on Z39.50 and ISO standards 10160 and
10161 for interlibrary loan.

James J. Micahel - retired Vice President of DRA
Speaking on the practical and policy issues for libraries using Z39.50.

Vendors:

The following vendors have been invited to present:

Ameritech - Stacy Betts
DRA - Carl Grant, Vice President
GEAC - Perry Graftman
Innovative Interfaces - to be determined
The Library Coporation - Mark Wilson and Randy Kremer
OCLC - Ralph LeVan, Senior Analyst

When:

November 26, 1996
9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Dinner, November 25 7:00 p.m., cash bar 6:00 p.m.

Where:

Holiday Inn Gateway Center
U.S. 30 & ISU exit
Ames, Iowa
515.292.8600 or 800/HOLIDAY

AGENDA:

9:30 - 9:40	Welcome
9:40 - 10:25	Z39.50 overview - Fay Turner
10:30 - 11:15	Z39.50 technical issues - Ray Denenberg
11:15 - 12:00	SILO Z39.50 Demonstration - Liz Forney, SILO system
administrator
12:00 - 12:45	Lunch, James J. Michael, retired Vice President of DRA
12:45 - 3:30	Vendor presentations
3:30 - 4:30	Panel discussion

Cost:

$20.00

Lunch and breaks provided.

Deadline for registration.

November 16, 1996

For more information contact:  Ted Stark or
http://www.silo.lib.ia.us/lib/z3950sym.html

Ted Stark, Automation Consultant
State Library of Iowa*East 12th and Grand*Des Moines, Ia. 50319
Voice: 515.281.6182, e-mail: tstark at mail.lib.state.ia.us