Bye Bye HyperText: The End of the World (Wide Web) As We Know It

Robb Scholten roscho at enterprise.bih.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 2 09:51:41 EDT 1996

I have been noticing this thread in the popular press about the demise of
indexing as the point of entry for data retrieval.  I agree with Gerry
that this does deserve some sober reflection.  The question is, can robot
indexing systems, neural retrieval engines, and relevancy ranked
full-text retrieval replace the intelligence of a live person scanning a
chunk of text and assigning index pointers from a controlled thesaurus?

I would love to see someone in ASIS conduct a study where two groups of
students attempt to answer queries using traditional index searches and
something like Excalibur or WebWire and compare the results.

I would not be quite so hasty to declare the concept of hyperlink dead.
We have yet to develop a retrieval model that can efficiently use both
the traditional index to locate your first "gem" and then be able to link
to all other works cited in the first.  This process of data mining
(whatever name you want to apply to it) mimics rather well how
researchers locate sources of information using indexes and
bibliographies in libraries.

On the other hand, perhaps the neural network-type of retrieval will
actually supercede this centuries-old method of research.  I eagerly look
forward to giving it a try!

Robb Scholten
Clinical Computing
Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center