Packard Bell commercial

PETER BROMBERG BROMBERG.PETER at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Oct 29 09:51:29 EST 1996

Ross,

I'm none too happy about Packard Bell's depiction
of the library as a dark, menacing place and I'm
sure if the Library community complains a little,
Packard Bell will draft a nice little letter
apologizing for any misunderstanding because they
really do love libraries and librarians and books
are wonderful things, yadda, yadda, yadda...

What concerns me though is the fact that this
depiction of libraries didn't just spring
maliciously out of some advertiser's head.  This
commercial reflects a reality for many people
(albeit a bit sensationalized).  Libraries *can*
be scary, intimidating places for people, and in
our anger over the commercial it would be a loss
if we forgot to PAY ATTENTION to what it is
telling us!   We need to make sure that libraries
are welcoming places.  We need to remember that a
library has access to *such* a vast amount of
information that it *is* a little scary to someone
who doesn't even know where to begin looking.

We will never again see the library through the
eyes of a library-newbie, through the eyes of a
non-user.  The non-user's vision is precious.  It
is VALUABLE INFORMATION.  What we choose to do
with that info is up to us.

Librarians need to respond to this commercial, and
emails and phone calls to Packard Bell are
certainly appropriate, but let's not stop there.
Let's think about how we can make the library as
friendly and transparent as possible.  Let's
educate the public about what we offer; not just
information, but gentle guidance on how to access
information.  The public's perception of libraries
is not something to get pissed about, it's a call
to action.  We may not like PB's commercial
because it fosters misconceptions, but ultimately
it is more of a symptom than a cause.   IMHO, of
course.

Peter Bromberg
Garcia Consulting Inc., at
EPA Region II Library
New York, New York
Bromberg.Peter at epamail.epa.gov

Opinions are mine, mine, mine, and don't reflect
on my employer, my friends, the person I sat next
to on the train this morning, etc.

>Has anyone seen the Packard Bell computer
commercial that encourages
>people to access information from home rather
than venture to the library?
>It appears to be VERY anti-library. The library
is depicted as a dark, menacing...

Bromberg.Peter at epamail.epa.gov