Network Security & (Cr|H)acking

Sean Dreilinger sean at kensho.com
Thu Oct 24 13:22:59 EDT 1996

Hi Laurie J. Bonnice, M.L.S. et. al...

If you're still pondering the security situation for your library, I'd like
to learn more about it, and also ask other librarians and web authors about
their own adventures in security. Some specific questions are below.

--Sean :-)

At 08:50 PM 10/21/96 -0700, Laurie Bonnice wrote:
>We have a LAN with over 80 users accessing the network.  We also have a
WAN with about
>8-10 users accessing at a time.  We are in the process of purchasing 60
new computers
>with Windows 95 and hard drives on them for use in the computer classrooms
and labs.
>I would appreciate any information/opinions you may offer.

* What's the anticipated use of these ~60 new computers that are slated for
public spaces?

* What's your library presently doing for info-security, including
big-picture stuff along the lines of training and policy?

* Are you locked-in to the selection of operating system and hardware
mentioned above?

* Has your library ever had any unfortunate experience with crackers,
hackers, info-vandals, etc.?

                                          Sean Dreilinger, MLIS
        PGP Public Key - http://www.kensho.com/sean/pubring.htm
  sean at kensho.com - 619.514.3939 - http://www.kensho.com/~sean/
KENSHO - Bringing Knowledge to the Information Age - in a Flash