Making telnet work in Internet Explorer 2.01 for Windows 3.x

Knuth, Pat CARL knuthp knuthp at LEAV-EMH1.ARMY.MIl
Thu Oct 24 14:39:00 EDT 1996

I know this question has been discussed in the past, but I don't remember
seeing a solution.  I discovered (while trying to solve another problem,
isn't that always the way it goes?) that you can edit the iexplore.ini file
to set up your telnet application.

Edit the iexplore.ini file located in the Windows directory.  Somewhere in
there (on the 4th page, when it's printed out) is a section for [Helpers]
 and a line that looks something like

; telnet=c:\mytelnet\mytelnet.exe %s

delete the ; and change the path to reflect your telnet application.  Mine
looks like

telnet=c:\windows\telnet.exe %s

I don't know what the %s does for sure,  There's a comment that says  to
insert %s where you want the filename of the viewer temp file to be
substituted.

Since I've edited this file, I can click on the link to our catalog and
Explorer telnets to it.

Hope this helps.

Pat Knuth
Systems Librarian