Server in library?

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Fri Oct 18 16:01:16 EDT 1996

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Bob Long wrote:

>         You could be up and running in a day, maybe less. Of course you
> would then have to begin learning the finer points of the system, especially
> the web server. But that's a given in any case.

	Red Hat or Slackware will do it; but you still want to
	allocate another day to security.  Unless you are practiced,
	you will need a half day to set up X-windows, which is
	rather nice to have, not only for maintenance, but also
	because you can run a browser like Netscape to look at
	your web pages without needing to connect to another
	machine.  The last half day would be for tuning and
	playing with the Apache parameters.

	Any CDROM distribution is enough "behind the times"
	that you will need security patches or configuration
	changes to cover off the vulnerabilities that have
	been noted since the CDROM was compiled.  CDROMs are
	still worth it though, to get the base system in and
	working.

	The actual OS install, and customizing the kernel, takes
	about half a day, the next half day is shaking down the
	networking and backing the system up!

	I like Apache - that's what I installed here, and it
	seems like quite a good effort.

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."