LookSmart Search Engine

Cliff Urr curr at mnsinc.com
Sat Oct 12 13:52:40 EDT 1996

I got this off of the hypertext Usenet group, which may
be of great interest here (btw, it appears not yet available, but
will be very soon):

"Has anybody heard more about the new Java-based search directory
for the web announced last week called "LookSmart", which is
backed by the Reader's Digest? It's editorial approach seems
like a much more practicable approach to finding info on the Internet.

This is what I know:Interactive Age and CNET reported that all sites indexed
by this new navigation service are selected, described and organized by
online editors, who filter the good stuff and remove irrelevant or amateur
content. A more consumer-orientated search tool so to speak.

I hear LookSmart also runs on a Java platform, apparently
making searching more novel and easy for 32-bit users.
IA said that advertisers will get Java-enabled creative slots and
guaranteed time impressions.

According to Reuters New Media and Computer News Daily,
LookSmart users can find information more easily than with current
engines and directories, as search results will only fill up one page.
I know that today, many search services deliver query results in as
many as 20 separate pages.

I hear the launch date for LookSmart is somewhere towards the end of
October.

Does anybody know anything more?"

- Cliff Urr
E-mail: curr at mnsinc.com