HALINET WWW-Z39.50 Gateway RFI

Walter Lewis walter at spartan.hhpl.on.ca
Thu Oct 10 10:18:51 EDT 1996

Some of the vendors who follow this list may already have staff who have
received this announcement.  We though it might be of interest to others
considering a similiar approach to the market, or to others as an
approach to doing business.

Walter Lewis
Halton Hills Public Library (for HALINET)
=====
The HALINET Council is seeking Information in preparation for
the eventual purchase of a WWW-to-Z39.50 gateway for HALINET's seven
(7) multi-site organizations. Its ultimate goal is to
cost-effectively procure graphical search and retrieval
software which will provide its users with transparent links to
multiple bibliographic hosts and databases in a
single operation.

Early in 1997, the HALINET Council will be issuing a Request For
Proposal for the purchase of the appropriate software. To begin
this process it is issuing this REQUEST FOR INFORMATION.

This RFI is being issued solely over the Internet and only in this
World Wide Web format. This process is serving as a learning
experience for the partners of HALINET. We would appreciate any feedback
concerning this document and the methodology that is being used.

The location of the RFI documents is
http://www.hhpl.on.ca/library/z3950/z3950rf1.htm

An explanation of the process can be found in the associated links.

Walter Lewis, Deputy Chief Librarian/Systems
Halton Hills Public Library
9 Church St., Georgetown, ON, Canada
905-873-2681  walter at spartan.hhpl.on.ca     http://www.hhpl.on.ca