Client-Server Vs. Turnkey Systems

Stan Furmanak furmanak at lvc.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:25:03 EDT 1996

Marie-

For a discussion of pros and cons of library systems including
client/server systems, consult Library Technology Reports published by the
American Library Association (ISSN 0024-2586). Issue Vol. 32, No. 2
(March/April 1996) in particular has overviews of client/server library
systems.

A turnkey system simply implies a one-vendor-does-all solution (i.e.
database prep, hardware install and maintenance, wiring or cabling,
software install and maintenance, etc.) where all the library has to do is
"turn the key" to use the system and does not describe a particular
architecture.

Stan Furmanak
Systems and Reference Librarian
Bishop Library