CitedSites(sm) Citation Indexing of Web Resources

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Sun Oct 6 12:40:21 EDT 1996

        CitedSites(sm) Citation Indexing of Web Resources

     For a planned review and clearinghouse, I am interested in learning of
projects, research, products, or services that have applied Citation Indexing
research, products, or services that have applied Citation Indexing to Web
resources. Citation Indexing is a method of locating potentially relevant
documents on a given subject by identifying subsequent documents that
cite a previously published document. The Science Citation Index_ developed
by Eugene Garfield and the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) is a
premier example of a Citation Index.

    If viewed as a hyperlinked corpus, or a collection of cited sites, we may
be able to enhance identification and access to the most relevant sites for
a specific topic through application of Citation Indexing and related
approaches.

    In the Web environment we need not be interested in the priority of
publication, but would consider the number and percentage of primary and
secondary links shared by linked homepages. Those pages that share the
highest relative & absolute number and percentage of homepages could be
considered pages of greatest relevance in a specific topic; those with the
least could be considered least relevant.

    Certainly, other kinds of associations can be calculated and presented in
ways analogous to the enhanced features found within the Science Citation
Index CD-ROM. Information Visualization could greatly facilitate the
navigation of contents and concepts within these cited sites and provide
enhanced access to non-Web citation databases as well. I will be investigating
the application of Information Visualization for non-Web and Web databases
later this year in a new project entitled mrsPEEL.

    As always, any recommendations, suggestions, reactions, contacts, or leads
about these ideas will be very much appreciated.Thanks to Jerry Morine,
Bemidji, or crystalizing my thinking about the possibility of Citation
Indexing for the Web and to Ray Larson for his innovative application of
bibliometrics to a Web corpus that I have profiled in Project Aristotle(sm).

   As sites and projects are identified and reviewed they will be profiled at
this site at the following URL:

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Cited.htm

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan