embedded paper :possible?

John Pearce jpearce at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 3 17:59:43 EDT 1996

The book you should probably read is called "A Young Lady's Primer"
aka The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson.  It's about a book whose
pages change according to the needs and environment of its reader, in
a way that sounds like your dream.  Stephenson goes into a fair bit of
detail on how this would work, at least in a science-fictional sense.
I recommend the book highly.

The way that "A Young Lady's Primer" resembles real books is in its
intent.  In both cases, the intent remains the same, even if content
changes in one.  We might do well by treating intent as being the same
as Subject, in which case the cataloging suestion seems a little more
tractable.

John Pearce
U.W. Health Sciences Library