Graphic View of the Web

Roz Ault - User Support Technology - ext 377 AULT at faxon.com
Thu Oct 3 16:41:09 EDT 1996

Re:

> The web's graphic capacities are nearly ignored by Yahoo to
> give but one example.  Nowhere do we get the chance to even
> SEE the intricate branching tree created by the Yahoo hierarchies.
>  Ideally, of course, we should be able to see this tree and
> be able to click on the relavant branches and fruits to get
> to relevant points, but that is more complex.

See:

http://mcf.research.apple.com/

You can download plugins for Mac and Windows browsers that give you a
graphical view of Web hierarchies, with Yahoo in fact as the example.

A brief description from the Web page:

What is MCF?

MCF, which stands for Meta Content Format, is an open format for representing
information about content. The goal of MCF is to provide an adequate language
for representing a wide range of information about content. The content
targeted includes web pages, gopher and ftp files, desktop files, email and
structured (i.e., relational and object oriented) databases, etc. The
corresponding meta-content includes indices such as Yahoo!, gopher and ftp
directory structures, email headers, data dictionaries, etc.

What is HotSauce?

HotSauce is a 3D MCF browser. It presents content in a view like in this screen
shot with floating nodes. You can use the mouse to fly through the space in 3D,
quickly navigating through branching structures.

-Roz Ault
 ault at faxon.com