Netscape and MSIE administration kits -- any info?

Alex Nishri nishri at utcc.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 3 13:17:39 EDT 1996

The Navigator Administrator Toolkit (US$795 + shipping) permits modification
of the following with Navigator 3.0:

- For the following you can set the default and optionally lock it:
  user addr, user name, replyto, POP userid, message max size (UNIX & Mac
  only), ask for security password, security password life, allow sslv2,
  allow sslv3, allow java, allow javascript, nntp server, smtp server,
  pop server, leave mail on server, proxy type, and setting of proxy servers.

- With UNIX only you can also set the following and optionally lock them:
  movemail program, use movemail, use builtin movemail, and biff interval.

- The following options may be defined and if they are, are always locked:
  String which Web servers can use to identify your browser, home page,
  autoload home page, animation to be used in place of the "N", replacements
  for the directory buttons, replacement or addition of items in the
  directory and help menus,

- With UNIX you can also define the logo tip, logo prompt and alter or remove
  the "About USENET" help menu item.

To disable email sending and news posting we blanked out and locked the
"user addr" option. (In Windows95, but not the Mac, a user checking this
field will see a grayed out "Not Supported" in that field.) This puts
up a dialog when the user first tries to start composing a message. (For
good measure we also blanked out and locked the SMTP server.)

To disable email reading we blanked out the POP server, and to disable
news reading you can blank out the NNTP server.

You can distribute Navigator copies modified with the toolkit subject to your
Navigator license and there are instructions on how to do this.

For further changes you will need Netscape's license release.  We signed a
"Instructions & release concerning suppression of features" which became
attachment A to our "Limited Right to Copy - Educational Institutions." This
permits us to "grey out" or disable, but not delete, features in the File,
Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, Options, and Windows pulldowns. Modified copies
cannot be distributed and must only be used in a public setting such as a
Library.  One way to to grey out menu items is using the resource editor
included with Microsoft C; the resource editor must be used from Windows NT
(reference http://www.microsoft.com/kb/developr/visual_c/q139030.htm).
A good reference on this topic is the just updated, "How to Edit Netscape for
Public Access Computers", at http://www.lib.berkeley.edu:8000/NS.

Alex Nishri
Network Services
University of Toronto