Public Access to Web Browsers

Michael Huber mhuber1 at umbc.edu
Tue Oct 1 14:42:48 EDT 1996

My original message to you bounced.

Susie,

We currently have 6 machines available for public Web Browsing, basically
anyone can walk in and use them.  No sign-up etc is required.  We are
currently using netscape 2.02 which has been edited using Visual C++ to
restrict access to a number of Netscapes features (mail, news, options,
etc.)

The machines are also running IronClad to protect the boot process and the
progman.ini has been edited to remove the File Menu and prevent users from
closing windows.

You may want to look into the "Network Computers" as an option.  They have
very limited capabilities (such as only running a Browser).

Feel free to ask for more details or send specific questions.

> My library is getting ready to offer web access to the public, and we were
> wondering how other public libraries do this. In particular, do you have a
> sign-up sheet and if so, do they have to sign anything stating they agree
> with your use policies? Do they have to sign this everytime they use it?  Do
> they have to have a library card to use the Internet?
>
> If anybody from a public library would like to just briefly tell me how you
> handle this, please email me directly.  Thank you.

		 _) Mike Huber - Computer Support )
	      ___) Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery )____
      ________) University of Maryland Baltimore County )______
      ) Opinions and Ideas expressed above are (c) by M. Huber )