Resolving numerical adresses

Vidar Ringstr|m vidar at sfjbib.bibsyst.no
Thu Nov 28 04:34:21 EST 1996

Hello all

I'm doing an analysis of a weblog, and wonder if anyone can enlighten me
on a minor problem.

As you all probably know a weblog includes IP-numbers and "ordinary"
adresses of the machine.subdomain.domain-type. Through whois-services and
programs like traceroute I have been able to find out who is behind the
IP-numbers that have logged most visits.

But can anyone tell me where the log pics up the machinename/IP-number?
Is it from the browser?

The statistics program (Analog) lists IP-numbers
under the heading ]Unresolved numerical adresses], does this mean that
they have failed a resolving process?

Regards,

---
Vidar Ringstrøm    Sandefjord bibliotek 33 45 60 52
Email: vidar at sfjbib.bibsyst.no
Diktet: Love poem / Adrian Henry
Sangen: Safety net / Shop Assistants
Boken: Om det tragiske / Peter Wessel Zapffe