Computer Support Staff in Public LIbraries

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Mon Nov 25 11:17:38 EST 1996

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 jfrasier at jefferson.lib.co.us wrote:

> We are looking at staffing needs and am wondering what other large public
> libraries are doing.  Specifically do you have a person on staff who
> performs primarily system analysis-type support, or software support?  We
> have thought it might be a good idea to have someone on the staff whose
> primary responsibility would be assisting the library staff to utilize
> technolgy better by setting up applications, training, analyzing needs
> and providing assistance.

The Computer Services staff comprise the following positions/functions:

Technical analysis, operating system support (Unix/VMS), strategic
planning, server construction, network support and security (1 person)

Support for Unix, networking, NT and Novell (1 person)

Support (HW/SW) for microcomputers - client side and standalone (MSDOS,
Win311, Win95, WinNT) (2 people)

Systems analysis/programming (Unix, MSDOS, Win311, Win95) (1 person)

Support, administration, hardware purchases (microcomputers) (2 people)

Operations supervisor (VMS/Unix) (1 person)

Operators (2 full time, 2 part time)

Trainer/User support analyst - VMS / Unix (report writer stuff, database
maintenance, user training, etc) (2 people)

Other (1 manager, 1 secretary, 1 part time procedures writer)

In addition, elsewhere there are about three or four people involved in
end user training, particularly with respect to "internetish" things,
online subscription databases, and multi-media and CDROM products.

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."