Buildings, Books, and Bytes ... (Benton Foundation)

William Van De Mark billvdm at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 20 22:15:13 EST 1996

I believe the Benton Foundation's report, Buildings, Books, and Bytes:
Libraries and Communities in the Digital Age, has recently been
mentioned on this listserv. If this note is redundent, please forgive
me, but I feel that this report (and a related report, soon to be
published) is worth mentioning again. This report details visions of
what the library of the future may be, based upon the perspectives of
current library leaders, and upon the views and expectations of library
users and the general public. There is a great deal of information to be
had from the report. I find its comparative function, contrasting the
differences in opinion and understanding between library leaders and the
public to be of particular interest. These differences may serve as a
starting point for developing future library policy in the Information
Age. If listserv members would like to obtain a copy, send an email to:

benton at benton.org
and provide them with your standard postal address.

The Benton Foundations URL is: http://www.benton.org

The Foundation will soon be publishing a compilation of case studies on
"pioneering libraries that are expanding services and forging new
alliances in the digital age." It's my understanding that you can
reserve a copy now, and receive it when it becomes available.