illegal operation

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:37:18 EST 1996

At 07:44 AM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me why, while in Netscape, you often get a message saying
>that an "illegal operation" has just been performed, etc. and then you have
>the option of "close" and "ignore".  Usually, you have to close and then it
>throws you out of the program. Is there something we can do to stop this
>from happening?  Thanks

Sounds like you are using Netscape Navigator 3.0 under Windows. I had been
satisfied with earlier versions of Netscape. But when version 3.0 for Win95
was released, Netscape started crashing several times each day. I've heard
from others who encountered the same problem as soon as the "upgraded" to
version 3.0 of Navigator. That's what motivated me to look at Microsoft's
Internet Explorer, which is now my browser of choice. I have not tried it
under Windows 3.1, however. Under Win95, it is very stable. In three months
it has probably crashed no more than a half dozen times on the three systems
I use regularly. The times I've had problems is when I've tried to open
three different windows and switched around a lot with graphics intensive
sites.

--Harry
Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu   540-231-7052   FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to learn."
                                                         - H. M. Kriz (1994)