Position posting

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Wed Nov 20 08:20:22 EST 1996

1. It is the quality of a person's mind that matters, not XYZ after a
name. If I had to hire between a CS and a MLS, I'd look for teaching
and/or community work on a resume...something that indicated the
person had the skill set that connects people to information, information
to people.
2. We--book people and byte people--have to talk to each other. Many
moons ago in an academic institution I did something very wierd...I
went downstairs to that cold, sanitized room where the mainframe lived
and (zounds!) talked to the sysop ..oh my! the reports I was able to
get!! "Where did you get this?" the astonished librarians "upstairs"
asked. "I talked to George. He ran it for us."
3. What lately concerns be about the whole techno-drift is this: we
are fumbling to a future from the personnel, policies and procedures
in place. I wish I heard more "What will people need to live, strive,
thrive in the 21st century? And how can our information structures
help them?" Sometimes I think the din of our own confusion is
drowning out the fact there are *people* whose queries are simply
"how do I sound intelligent in my job interview tomorrow" or
"does my grandchild really need this operation?" My chairman at

Rutgers, Dr. David Carr, sometimes says to his class "Okay, the
electricity has just gone out ...now: help your patrons."