position postings

Kevin C. Marsh KMarsh at Information.org
Tue Nov 19 10:29:01 EST 1996

Mark Wilcox wrote:
>I think degrees are nice and a thought in hiring someone, but when it
>comes to technology I think you must look past that and to work
>experience.

>The point is that a degree is nice, but it doesn't always mean a
>whole lot. Many CS degrees from schools do a real good job of
>algorithim design but not very good on practical programming. And I'd
>have to say the same thing about my MLIS. Alot of theory, but not
>alot of practice.

Which is as it should be.  Implementation of an information system requires
a "techie" with good "practical programming" skills. Design and management
of such a system requires a solid understanding of theory.  The most
successful systems I have worked on have included both programers and
librarians on the design team, with the librarians in a leadership role.

So if the position calls for writing code and administering systems or
networks I'd ignore degrees and look for a person with the right skills and
experience.  But if it calls for leadership, vision, systems analysis,
system design, and on-going management of a Library information system I
would require the MLIS and also look for relevant technology skills.
Someone who understands the concepts of precision, recall, controlled
vocabulary, cataloging standards, etc, and can make informed decisions about
the importance or applicability of these concepts to the design of a
particular system.  Someone steeped in a philosophy of user service who sees
technology as a tool for accomplishing a mission rather than an end in itself.

>So sure it helps to get the degree but you must remember if you just
>close yourself in your room and read all the books and become a good
>test taker, the GPA will be high but I doubt real-life ability will
>be the same.

If all someone got out of an MLIS program was a high GPA, they weren't
paying attention.  The theoretical foundation in Library and Information
Science that I received gives me the real-life ability to do important work,
both in harnessing whatever technologies the "techies" may develop and in
guiding the "techies" in the development of new technologies that serve my
purposes, the discovery and retrieval of information.

>Mark
>wilcox at lis.unt.edu

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director
Information Access Institute