position postings

Mark Wilcox WILCOX at lis.unt.edu
Tue Nov 19 00:40:58 EST 1996

I think degrees are nice and a thought in hiring someone, but when it
comes to technology I think you must look past that and to work
experience.

For example I have my MLIS with only  a minor in CS. YEt I've been
actively using computers for nearly 15 years (out of 23 that ain't
bad :-) ). I know more about UNIX, C, HTML, WWW and any Microsoft
product than all the CS majors I know. I've got nearly 3 years more
network managment experience.

The point is that a degree is nice, but it doesn't always mean a
whole lot. Many CS degrees from schools do a real good job of
algorithim design but not very good on practical programming. And I'd
have to say the same thing about my MLIS. Alot of theory, but not
alot of practice.

So sure it helps to get the degree but you must remember if you just
close yourself in your room and read all the books and become a good
test taker, the GPA will be high but I doubt real-life ability will
be the same.

Mark

wilcox at lis.unt.edu

http://archive.lis.unt.edu/~mew0002/
Webmaster WWW Archive of Conference Proceedings
http://archive.lis.unt.edu/