Digerati less inclined to see a library...

curr at mnsinc.com curr at mnsinc.com
Fri Nov 15 11:31:56 EST 1996

--- On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:57:54 -0800  Four-Color Fiend <shot at panix.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Bo Simons wrote:
>> year olds don't look to librarians for computer/Internet mentoring....
>
>Why should they?
>
>Don't know if my branch library is atypical, but of the seven librarians
>assigned only three have Internet experience and only one, besides myself
>has an Internet account.  I know dozens of librarians who neither have nor
>desire such accounts.  I'm sure that if the average patron asked a
>librarian about the internet they would get little more than a shrug from
>a majority of them.
>
>Oh, yes, to be fair only one of the clerical staff has any training with
>the 'net.
>
>Steve C.

After having been in an environment since 1989 of computer systems
analysts, everytime I see the "feirld reporst" as the above, I cannot help
but wonder if librarianship is a moribund profession. However, if it's any
consolation, until recently, very very of the systems analysts I've worked
with had any experience in any way on the Internet.

Cliff Urr
E-mail: curr at mnsinc.com
Galaxy Scientific Corp.
Crystal Plaza One, 2001 Jeff Davis Highway,
Suite 1107 Arlington, VA 22202
703-413-0464, ext. 242
Personal Home Page: http://www.mnsinc.com/curr/
Date: 11/15/96