Position postings

Thom Gillespie thom at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:36:36 EST 1996

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, John Hammer wrote:

> There was recently posted an announcement for a Library Systems
> Administrator position.  Am I the only one distressed by the fact it, and
> others I have seen in recent months, did not ask for any library
> experience.  None, not even having set foot in a library.  And this is for
> a LIBRARY systems position.
>
> One other point also bothers me.  I know of several people, myself
> included, that have experience in most if not all the duties mentioned,
> all armed with only a degree in Library Science.  Isn't it time we
> librarians are acknowledged as being capable of applying for systems
> positions?

John, I have been following job listings in the NYT Info Sys section each
month and have noticed a couple of things. No one wants or even asks for
a degree to any great extent. Last week out of 60 display ads only 2
asked for a Masters in anything. Very few even ask for a Bachelors. They
all want skills and experiences. I don't think being or not being a
librarian has anything to do with the job market these days. It comes
down to skills and experiences. If you have been the webmaster for NYPL
and have skills in perl, cgi-bin,. graphic design, java, and javascript
you are going to get a job fast because working in a library with those
skills is real good experience.

The game has changed but LIS schools are slow to catch up. Also check out
the "How to leap before you look: Lessons for a digital world" from the
Sunday NYT. Real interesting.

--Thom