Position postings

Ellen Sleeter, M.A.I.N. Administrator SLEETER at main.morris.org
Thu Nov 14 12:46:07 EST 1996

Oops.  After I got done all of this typing, I decided I should have posted this
to the list as well.

From:	MAIN01::SLEETER      "Ellen Sleeter, M.A.I.N. Administrator" 14-NOV-1996 12:44:34.91
To:	SMTP%"hammerj at ALPHA.NSULA.EDU"
CC:	SLEETER
Subj:	RE: Position postings

That was a good posting, soapboax or no ;)

Actually, as a manager who came up through the library automation ranks but
feel that MOST master's programs do not turn out the kinds of grads that I
would want to hire, I am torn on this one.

I got challenged by a web4lib listener for *requiring* a masters on the posting
that I put out for the Deputy here (this job is still open...)  I *personally*
don't require a masters degree, but my boss --- *not* being from the library
community --- does (in case I leave..), and the user constituency here seems
quite "degree-conscious".  To what end, I wonder?

Yes --- there should always be a requirement for previous work experience in a
library setting --- and heavy understanding of USMARC, Z39.50, and other
relevant standards, but I *always* hone in on systems analysis and
project management experience, interpersonal skills and the ability to
communicate effectively.

And what Master's program is going to guarantee/certify these competencies?

Perhaps Drexel CIST, of which I am a fan, and for whom I will participate
on an invited curriculum review panel tomorrow.  But their program has been
criticized by the "traditional" library types as being short on "traditional"
courseware.  Yet the Beta Phi Mu chapter there seems often to have stuck its
head in the sand in the face of the dissonance between Beta Phi Mu's national
concerns and the things that work in the Drexel program.  I'm somewhat loathe
to include Beta Phi Mu on my resume anymore, actually.

It's both an interesting and a vexing problem.

Standing down, I remain...

(posted after the fact to web4lib)

| ELLEN L. SLEETER                                                         |
| Network Administrator/Division Head, County of Morris, New Jersey        |
| Morris Automated Information Network (M.A.I.N.)                          |