Position postings

John Hammer hammerj at ALPHA.NSULA.EDU
Thu Nov 14 11:27:28 EST 1996

There was recently posted an announcement for a Library Systems
Administrator position.  Am I the only one distressed by the fact it, and
others I have seen in recent months, did not ask for any library
experience.  None, not even having set foot in a library.  And this is for
a LIBRARY systems position.

One other point also bothers me.  I know of several people, myself
included, that have experience in most if not all the duties mentioned,
all armed with only a degree in Library Science.  Isn't it time we
librarians are acknowledged as being capable of applying for systems
positions?

I'll get off the soapbox now.

John C. Hammer                          +
Head of Cataloging                      +            All opinions
Watson Library                          +             expressed
Northwestern State University           +              are mine
Natchitoches, LA  71497                 +            and not those
hammerj at alpha.nsula.edu                 +            of my employer
318/357-4462                            +