(Fwd) (Fwd) Error Condition Re: Re: hard disks formatted

Carmel Store Carmel.Store at jcu.edu.au
Wed Nov 13 21:39:26 EST 1996

> > For a FREE solution, download Flute (flute.zip in most major
> > shareware depositories), a macro language that lets you hide windows
> > like the program manager, explorer, start button, etc...
>
> Does 'Flute' only run under '95, or will it work under 3.x as well?

For a more expensive solution, run Windows NT.  My Computer Labs here
at James Cook University are running Windows NT and it has proven to
be fairly bullet-proof so far...

If you format the Hard Drive with NTFS you can set permissions on
each of the directories so that users can only read those directories
and not write or delete any of your files.

Once the Hard Drive is formatted in NTFS, it is inaccessable from DOS
(except for formatting, which you can stop too).  I am running both
NT 3.51 and 4.0 workstations and have found them to be a wonderful
solution to the tampering problem.

> >> On three different occasions we have found that a low level format
> >> [...] We've taken the usual precautions so that a patron cannot RUN
> >> a program from the Program Manager, write protected PROGMAN.INI,
> >> disabled booting-up from Drive A:, etc.
>
> Have you password protected BIOS access?  If not, it would be simple
> matter to reenable booting from A:\.  Also, make 'switches=/n' the
> first line of your config.sys, this will prevent users from using F5
> or F8 to interrupt the boot process.
>
> >> Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any ideas how to
> >> stop this nonsense. I'd really like to collect some evidence and
> >> prosecute perpetrator of this time wasting exercise.

Michael French,
Network Administrator,
Dept of Accounting and Finance,
James Cook University
email:  Michael.French at jcu.edu.au
phone: +61 77 814194

Carmel Store                 Phone: 077 814648
Resource Room                Email: carmel.store at jcu.edu.au
Dept of Acc & Finance
James Cook University
Townsville.  Qld 4811