DOS emulator program in UNIX to run CD-ROMs

Julie Meyer & Carl Todd chtodd at seacoast.com
Wed Nov 13 15:31:08 EST 1996

     Our library consortium is looking into using a DOS emulator program
(on our UNIX system) to run CD-ROMs from our central site.  The hope
is that we could network text-based CD-ROMs this way and have them
accessible through our dumb terminals.  There may be some challenges
with re-mapping the keyboard but perhaps not much else with a good
emulation program.  This seems like a great way to network CD's but I
haven't seen this done yet and wonder why not.  I don't have much
experience with DOS emulators and would like some suggestions.  If
this works, it would be a wonderful networking tool for all of us
libraries with dumb terminals.  I'll reply to this list if we're
successful with it.

Thanks,

Carl Todd
Reference Dept. Head