Natural lang/expert systems/www searching

Janet Dombrowski jdombrow at ngs.org
Wed Nov 13 17:34:00 EST 1996

Form: Memo
Text: (38 lines follow)
At Online World last month a start-up company named Minis was previewing an=
 =
=0D
intelligent search system called DR-LINK that is under development.  The =
=0D
system is being designed to respond to inquiries by asking the user which =
=0D
facets of the question they are interested, which synonyms and related term=
s =
=0D
to include, context of words with multiple meanings, and so on.  Their =
=0D
promotional literature quoted Barbara Quint's (_Searcher_ magazine) =
=0D
preliminary approval.  One of the system designers is a PhD candidate at =
=0D
Syracuse SIS and very knowledgeable.

Unfortunately, the URL I took down for Minis is incorrect and I can't finge=
r =
=0D
the brochure.  Does anyone know more about this company or product?  =

Janet Dombrowski
National Geographic Society Library
jdombrow at ngs.org

On Nov. 12 Nick Tomaiuolo wrote:

Does any such "Artificial Intelligence" powered engine exist anywhere for =
=0D
any
purpose?  In Library Reference, in Defense Industry, in Commerical business=
?
Again--I don't mean an engine that says "Narrow search by looking for
word in the title?" or the rudimentary type of search strategy, but one tha=
responds to the particluar query of the user.

Of particular significance would be **WWW** search engines that work =

intelligently-- that is, interact with the user.  Again, Are there any?  =

Have you used them?  Where are they?

Attachment Count: 0