The real reason animated GIFs are a bad idea

Cameron Parish cameron at serv.net
Wed Nov 13 16:08:07 EST 1996

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Roy Tennant wrote:

> They should be used very judiciously and with care,
> and only when nothing else will do.

You could even look at animated gifs from a handicapped-access point of
view.  I've got a moderate case of attention deficit disorder, and
animated gifs drive me *absolutely* *crazy*.  So crazy, in fact, that I've
been known to put masking tape on my screen to block out animations that I
can't scroll past.  A "kew1!!!" animation-heavy page that is merely
irritating to most people can be more or less illegible for people with
ADD.  And attention disorders are more common than you might think.

Nobody would build a library without wheelchair access -- at least, I hope
not. Why build a library web page that ADD'ers can't read?

delurking,
Cam "and I thought <BLINK> was bad" Parish
cameron at serv.net