animated gifs - impact on httpd access.log

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Wed Nov 13 09:53:38 EST 1996

At 03:53 PM 11/12/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Web server administration question to those who allow,
>or intentionally include (you should all be striken
>by lightening...but that's another issue),
>animated gifs on their server(s).
>
>When these push/pull animations skew your
>web server access log beyong all meaningful
>recoginition, do you:
>
>a). Pre-process OUT the extraneuous hits the aninmated
>    gifs in question create?  A single gifs caused over
>    15,000 hits on our server in one month.
>
>b). Disallow inclusion of said band-width wasting, content
>    free, distractions from your server(s).
>
>c). Just leave the hits in there?

Rod,

I think you are confusing an animated gif with a server push animation.

An animated gif89a is a single file with multiple images which is
interpreted locally by the browser.  It is a single file in your server logs.

With a server push animation it is, believe it or not, still a single hit to
the server.  The beauty (and curse) of server push is that the connection is
maintained  for the duration of the transmission.  The MIME type is
multipart/mixed (I believe...) and that means that the browser must maintain
a connection to the server, instead of dropping the connection.  Etiher way
there is a single connection in both instances.  The gif89a causes less
strain on the server.  I refuse to comment on what I believe they do to the
end user.

Bill
 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114