The Internet on EVERYBODY's TV

Thom Gillespie thom at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Nov 5 17:39:40 EST 1996

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, C. W. Tazewell wrote:

>      It looks like the world and the Internet are about to make a
> big change.  The WebTV, Internet Appliance, Network PC, TV/INTERNET
> UNIT at about $400 will sell a lot - then at $200 will sell even
> more, and when they are free or one cent like cellular phones,
> watch out.

I'd expect the cellular phone model to happen within a year simply
because there is more money to be made in selling service than hardware.
The models will be cheap, a starter kit.

>      But, the Internet must cater to the Web Couch Potatoes, or the
> units will end up in the attic.  I know of many educated professionals
> that haven't gotten beyond email, and that can't handle the present
> Web surfing.

It probably will happen big when there are cable modems rather than phone
line modems. The speed change will be big. This might be a big way for
the cable folks to beat back the direct broadcast folks.

I think the quickest way to cater to the couch potatoes is to stop
calling them potatoes. Looks more like prime rib to me.

--Thom