Desktop publishing and HTML/PDF conversion

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Tue Nov 5 11:56:26 EST 1996

Laura B. Cohen wrote:
> working in the Windows 3.11 environment.

First, I recommend you upgrade to Windows95. The reason is that many of
the newer desktop publishing programs are moving to only support Win95
-- especially the Adobe products!

> One program we are considering is Adobe PageMaker 6.0. (This is the
> most current version for 3.11) Any opinions out there?

Adobe PageMaker v6.5 is supposed to have excellent HTML support.
However, I would recommend taking a look at FrameMaker v5 which has
excellent HTML support now (with the Hot Tamale add-in, including Style
Sheet support). FrameMaker works more like a Word Processor than a
desktop publishing program, but with excellent Long-Document
capabilities.

> a) Do you like the program overall as a desktop publishing tool?

Adobe PageMaker v6.0 is a very good DTP package, I highly recommend it.
I like FrameMaker as well. QuarkXPress, I would stay away from on the PC
side of the fence.

> b) How satisfactory is the HTML and PDF conversion?

PageMaker v6.0, unsatisfactory HTML, good PDF; it comes with a Limited
Edition version of Adobe Acrobat Distiller (limiation is that it only
works with PageMaker). PageMaker v6.5, satisfactory HTML, good PDF; see
above. Adobe FrameMaker, very good HTML support (with Hot Tamale
add-in), good PDF (but does not come with Limited Edition Distiller,
must be purchased separately).

As far as HTML goes, why not just create HTML solo? Are you trying to do
DTP and quick conversion to HTML?

> c) Are the plugins to create these conversions free, or do they cost?
> Adobe's product information is not clear on this point.

PageMaker, plugins free. FrameMaker, Hot Tamela free beta; unknown cost
for real version.

> Are there recommendations for something other than PageMaker for
> this purpose?

See above.

> As a side issue, we have many WordPerfect documents we'd like to
> convert to HTML. The Web4Lib archives cover Word documents only.
> Any recommendations on a conversion program?

Yes, I just helped our Pathology department transfer its entire
syllabus, which was written in WordPerfect v5.1, to the Web. Used a copy
of Word for Windows v6 and the Internet Assistant to open the
WordPerfect v5.1 files and "SAVE AS" HTML document. Did not even bother
to save in Word Document format. Worked well. If you are using
WordPerfect v6.0/6.1 then I don't think Word for Windows v6.0 will open
those files -- purchase WordPerfect Suite v7.0 from Corel (educational
price is $49.00) which has facilities for saving HTML documents as well
as Barista Technology which will save your document to Java (also a
product called "Net-It Now", from Net-It Software, you guessed it
http://www.net-it.com/ creates Java documents from just about any
windows program -- worth checking out).

> Many thanks, everyone.  -- Laura Cohen

Hope this helps...