Manitoba Flood (& Message Board Software)

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sat May 4 11:17:34 EDT 1996

Peter Scott wrote:

> What IS of immediate interest to web4libbers is the software I am using
> for the board. It's called "Threads". It's free and can be found at:
>
> http://www.kitchenmedia.com/holden/
>
> It runs on both Windows and Windows95 machine, which are running
> web-server software. It doesn't produce threaded messages, but it's quick
> and small and easy to set up.

Peter,

Thanks for your efforts in support of those affected by the flood in
Manitoba.  I tried to check out "Threads" but all I got was some
annoying Java based page which was all white with grey boxes popping in
and out...  Gave up after a minute.

On a similar topic, though, people might want to check out WebBoard from
O'Reilly & Associates.  For a reasonable price (about US $40.00) you can
get their book on "Building your own Web Conferences" and the software
to do it.  I downloaded their demo a while back to see if it would work
for providing a forum to discuss ideas for our Research and Development
department.  It comes with it's own server software, or will run on
existing web servers.  I set it up on a 486 running windows 95, and my
management was so impressed with it that I'm now getting my own NT
server to put it into production mode.

It's 32 bit, so won't run on Windows 3.x, but allows multi-threaded
conferencing, and real time chat.

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Library Supervisor