Query: Web Site Capturing software?

Anne Prestamo annepres at csd.uwm.edu
Wed May 29 09:00:39 EDT 1996

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Whittier Public Library wrote:

> A plea for clarification:  By "capturing," the responses seem to
> refer to the ability to view HTML offline.  For example, one
> respondent suggested that files stored in the Netscape cache could be
> read by recommended software.  Is this what the original query was
> asking?  In any case, I'd like to know how saved--not cached--HTML
> can be stripped of the "markup," leaving only the text.  (Saved
> files, I know, do not include graphics.)
>
> I have heard that recent versions of Netscape perform the task, and
> that certain word processing applications will do the same.  Hearsay?

The Pro 2.52 version of HotDog strips HTML very nicely, allowing the user
to strip an entire document, or to choose specific sections.

Anne Prestamo
+Reference/Instruction Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
+Adjunct Faculty/School of Library and Information Science
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Phone:   414-595-2143   FAX:   414-595-2545
e-mail:  annepres at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu    or     prestamo at it.uwp.edu
http://www.uwm.edu/~annepres