rlogin

Peter Murray pem at po.CWRU.Edu
Sat May 25 10:55:00 EDT 1996

The key part of information you didn't send in your message is what web
browsers on what platforms you are using.  I suspect, though, that the
answer is "every browser on every platform" because your page is meant
for public access.

The RLOGIN scheme works on UNIX boxes and maybe some MS-windows setups,
but you'll find that most browsers don't know how to handle "RLOGIN"
connections and just treat them as "TELNET" connections.  When the
browsers do that, they loose the login name that you wish them to use.

You already have the instructions in your banner for users to type the
"ccplcat" login name; hopefully that will be enough.  That is probably
the best you can do with out doing some programming tricks on the server
end (eg, telnetting to a different port on cumberland.lib.nc.us that will
be programmed to automatically log the user into your system)...

Peter

--
Peter Murray, Senior Systems Analyst                       pem at po.cwru.edu
Library Information Technologies         http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html