Clearing Browser's history (WAS: Privacy ...)

Ted Koppel tkoppel at carl.org
Fri May 17 09:46:15 EDT 1996

>From George Jenkins's original message:
*
*To clean up Netscape's (v1.1) multitude of *.MOZ history files, I have the
*following command at the end of my autoexec.bat file:
*
*del c:\temp\*.moz
*

    George:

    Did you mean history files or cache files?

    In Netscape 2.02 (the one I am using), the cache file extensions are no
    longer uniformly .MOZ; they can be .gif, .jpg, .htm, or with no
    extension at all.   What seems to have remained stable since version
    1.1 is that the cache files all start with "m0".  The principle of what
    you wrote is correct - you could delete all of \temp\m0*.*.  To do a
    complete job, you would need to also delete the FAT.DB (in version
    2.02, I'm not sure what it was called in 1.1) which keeps track of the
    m0*.* files.

    If you meant history files, you will also want to delete the
    c:\netscape\netscape.hst file as well.

    Ted