Security options for public-access PC's

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Wed May 8 13:32:16 EDT 1996

I recommend using more than tattle tape.  I recommend purchasing security
cable kits that use an epoxy to attatch a plate to the monitor and CPU.
Longer cables can be purchased which would run alongside the monitor and
power cables if the CPU is far from the monitor.  Mice and keyboard cables
can be looped through the padlock (the mouse cable would have to be looped
through the gap in the CPU plate and then through the padlock to be
effective).  A combination padlock will allow easier access to the
computers for Systems staff.  Still longer cables can be used to secure
several monitors in a row, or however best meets the needs of your setup.
This does not prevent theft, but it is a visible deterrent which
discourages theft before it is attempted.

As far as tattle tape, I like the idea... but since it's designed to be
invisible, it's only a deterrent if the culprit tries to take it and walks
through a detected exit...so you'll probably need a visible deterrent as
well.

Some of the questions that should come to mind: What about before and after
closing, or alternate exits that don't have detectors?  These possibilities
should be examined carefully.  How difficult would it be for a person to
hide and/or sneak past closing staff, then leave with a computer after
hours (do the locks on all library doors require a key from inside as well
as outside)?

Once bitten, twice shy.

Keith

>Has anyone tried using tattle tapes or other somewhat non-visible
>security measures for their publicly accessible terminals?  We're in the
>process of getting two stations for Netscape, and we're opening a CD-ROM
>jukebox terminal to the public this week.  The CPU's are "stashed away"
>beneath our reference desk, meaning that patrons only see the terminal,
>mouse, keyboard and headphones.  We haven't experienced any problems with
>theft of our equipment; we've never really secured anything, either.
>
>Has anyone ever tried a attaching tattle tape (we use 3M brand) to these
>things?  All of the things we're thinking about attaching the tapes to
>are not very close to the CPU.  Will tattle tapes cause a problem, even
>if we're not sensitizing/desensitizing them?  Any other non-intrusive
>ideas?  All suggestions are welcome!  Thanks.
>

>--
>Kate A. Pohjola                         http://www.grfn.org/~kapohj
>Walt Whitman Branch
>Warren Public Library                   My opinions are mine only!
>Warren, Michigan

 Keith Engwall            "The boots of evil were made for walkin'!"
 Systems Librarian        "We're heroes, man, not glamour boys!  We don't
 Briscoe Library           have time to be good looking!"
 UTHSCSA                  "Spoooooon!"
 engwall at uthscsa.edu                           - The Tick