Controlling Netscape helper applications

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Thu May 2 11:39:36 EDT 1996

Re: How to shutdown unused apps after a certain amount of time...

I'd hate to sound like I have a religious thing for the Flute macro
language for windows :) , but I do believe it could solve this problem...

Flute lets you detect what applications are open by checking if their
icon or window is on-screen. If you want to, you could shutdown unused
helper apps, depending on what you define 'unused' as...

* "User hasn't moved mouse after X seconds"
   Well then, just use the provided Flute script from the Web4Lib
   reference center ( http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/faq.html )
   "Netscape Timeout for Windows", and modify it to close applications
   when the timeout hits.

* "Helper Application hasn't been active for X seconds"
  .. well, that's tougher, since you can't tell idle helper apps
  from active ones; you can only sense what the user is doing,
  input-wise. Hence, you can test the keyboard or mouse for action, but
  not what's happening to a particular app (it could be decompressing
  data, for example, but you wouldn't know it; you would just have to
  set a big-enough timeout to accomodate for those cases).

If you have a screenblanker than launches programs when its timeout hits,
you could make it launch a Flute script that tells each helper app you
know might have been started to close. I haven't found a shareware
screenblanker that does this, however.

Where you can get Flute from and other detalils are in the above URL...
I hope that helps...

_Alejandro Garza
 agarza at campus.mty.itesm.mx
 http://www-cib.mty.itesm.mx/
 ITESM University Library, Monterrey MEXICO