Summary of results

Jen McLeod mcleod at maine.maine.edu
Wed May 1 23:49:26 EDT 1996

Hello again, Web4libbers!

I received many responses to the following question:

>Has anyone attempted to set up full-text searching of about
>20 or 25 sites, none of which are search engines themselves?
>These could be universities, businesses, orgs, what have you.

Most of the responses said "use Harvest!!"

http://harvest.cs.colorado.edu/

"It is license-free, developed as a Unix-based search engine &
robot indexer, under a federal grant.  Offers the ability to
index and interface to just about anything reachable on the net.
You can define the sites & directories you wish to index.
It also allows distributed indexing, that is to say, indexing at
numerous sub-sites, and a "cumulation" into a master search file."

Alta Vista was another suggestion:

>One tip is when using Alta Vista enter URLs for those institutions and then put
>in keywords.

I was also pointed towards something called "Inquery":

http://ajboggs.com/inquery/all.about.inquery.html

And the following:

"Watch for the MecklerMedia announcement of the new searching at
http://www.iworld.com/search/
which does just that for distributed Internet-related publications based on
technologies from The Internet Company and PLS."

Thanks to all who replied!!

Sincerely,
Jen
Jennifer E. McLeod
University of Maine Fogler Library

http://libinfo.ume.maine.edu/Staff/mcleod.html <---  Staff page
http://libinfo.ume.maine.edu/~mcleodj/  <--- Personal page

"Risk!  Risk anything!  Care no more for the opinions of others, for those
voices.  Do the hardest thing on earth for you.  Act for yourself.  Face
the truth."  -- Katherine Mansfield