Multilingual Browser

Peter Kumaschow peterk at openweb.net.au
Mon May 20 19:50:13 EDT 1996

Alan Gale wrote:

>   I would like to find out if there is a web browser (or plug-in) that
>   allows users to view web pages in French, even though the page
>   was created in English; in other words, software that would translate
>   the contents of the page "on the fly". I have taken a look at a trial
>   copy of "Internet with an Accent", but it only seems to offer a range of
> character sets and not translation capability.

I too have been looking at the area of multi-lingual web publishing. I have not
heard of such a plug-in. Please let me know if you find one. It seems to me
that any multi-lingual web publishing would still involve the services of a human
translator and/or proof reader. Most language translators seem to have a great
deal of difficulty translating abstract concepts.

Recently I heard the story of an English speaker using a Russian/English
translation program to convert text into russian. At the other end a Russian
would read the translated text and send back through the translator what
he thought he received. The text being converted from Russian back into
English. The Englishman decided to send "Out of sight, out of mind", and
received back "Invisible Maniac".

Peter Kumaschow                          |           Currently Contracted To:
Email:  peterk at openweb.net.au            |           Open Net Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0419297948                       |           level 6 210 Clarence St