Security options for public-access PC's

John Banbury john.banbury at flinders.edu.au
Wed May 8 00:36:54 EDT 1996

At 9:40 AM 7/5/96, Kate A. Pohjola wrote:
>Has anyone tried using tattle tapes or other somewhat non-visible
>security measures for their publicly accessible terminals?  We're in the
>process of getting two stations for Netscape, and we're opening a CD-ROM
>jukebox terminal to the public this week.  The CPU's are "stashed away"
>beneath our reference desk, meaning that patrons only see the terminal,
>mouse, keyboard and headphones.  We haven't experienced any problems with
>theft of our equipment; we've never really secured anything, either.
>
>Has anyone ever tried a attaching tattle tape (we use 3M brand) to these
>things?  All of the things we're thinking about attaching the tapes to
>are not very close to the CPU.  Will tattle tapes cause a problem, even
>if we're not sensitizing/desensitizing them?  Any other non-intrusive
>ideas?  All suggestions are welcome!  Thanks.
>

>--
>Kate A. Pohjola                         http://www.grfn.org/~kapohj
>Walt Whitman Branch
>Warren Public Library                   My opinions are mine only!
>Warren, Michigan

After a CPU "walked" we have applied tattle tape to everything!
The monitors, keyboards, mice and CPU's.
The tape is applied inside the device to make removal without tools quite
difficult.
It seems to work OK, except for the mice. (The tattle tape has to be curled
to fit inside, so it is not as effective as in the other components).
We have had no problems with the tape in these devices.