"Unauthorized" Linking in the news

Rich Harrington rharrington at jjhill.org
Mon May 6 13:16:00 EDT 1996

I kind of hate to be the one continuing this thread, since some members were
decrying its continuing existance...but what the heck.

   This came to me via Edupage recently, and thought provode some more
fodder for discussion or thought.  And, it just struck me that CNN is in
Atlanta; perhaps they were behind this?

>GEORGIA LAW COULD PROHIBIT WEB LINKS
>Legislation recently signed into law by Georgia Governor Zell Miller is
>aimed at preventing fraud in cyberspace, but critics say it could force
>developers of World Wide Web pages to remove links to other pages.  The law
>makes it a crime to "falsely identify" oneself on the Net, or to direct
>people to someone else's computer without the other person's explicit
>permission.  "The law is written so poorly, and it criminalizes things that
>are a very basic way of operating on the Internet, that we're not sure how
>it would be enforced," says the legal counsel for the Electronic Frontier
>Foundation.  (Chronicle of Higher Education 3 May 96 A29)
Rich Harrington
Electronic Services Department
James J. Hill Reference Library, St. Paul, MN USA
rharrington at jjhill.org