No subject

Susan Bergin sbergin at grfn.org
Fri May 3 16:45:34 EDT 1996

This is being posted to NETTRAIN and Web4Lib.
Please excuse duplicate posting if you are on both lists.

This question is addresed mainly to academic institutions, but any input
is welcome.

Do any of you have (or are you considering getting) software that
monitors and/or controls Internet access from staff and/or student campus
computers? Some people at our college are concerned about our liability
if someone (staff or student) uses our computers in an unacceptable
manner, such as to download pornography or the formula for making a bomb.
Students will have to sign an Acceptable Use Policy. Right now there is
no suggestion that staff also signs such a policy.

I am a librarian, and the thought of censorship in any form is
very disturbing to me.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thank you in advance.

Susan

Susan Bergin, Supervisor of Instructional Media
Grand Rapids Community College, 143 Bostwick N.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503       sbergin at post.grcc.cc.mi.us
Voice: (616) 771-3847        FAX: (616) 771-3878
               INFORMATION IS POWER!