No subject

T-BRUCE at wpg.uwe.ac.uk T-BRUCE at wpg.uwe.ac.uk
Fri May 3 13:45:40 EDT 1996

Apologies for duplicate postings. This e-mail has been sent to: lis-link, lis-elib,
lis-elib-managers, DIGLIB, Web4Lib

ResIDe - electronic reserve for UK Universities.

This is a project funded by JISC as part of the Electronic Libraries Programme
in the UK.  The project aim is to pilot an electronic reserve (short loan) system
which provides electronic collection management and copyright management
structures.

I would be very interested in getting in touch with other initiatives/projects  which
complement or overlap with ResIDe.  For further information or to let me know
about your project, please contact me direct rather than via the list and I will
summerise for those who are interested.

A very brief outline of the project is given below and our web pages will shortly
be available along with the other eLib pogramme information via the UKOLN
eLib web pages: http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/elib/

To achieve an electronic reserve we are using a W3 server and underlying
relational database to provide metadata storage.  We aim to ensure that
copyright law is complied with automatically before materials are submitted to
the reserve and that the system integrates with existing services and systems
such as the library catalogue by use of protocols such as Z30.50 to help
achieve this integration.

Users will be encouraged to enter their own materials by the use of templates
although mediated deposit of materials ( i.e via the library) will also be
available.

The areas the project is interested in are:   Z39.50 & W3,
Use of metadata to locate information in a variety of repositories,
electronic copyright management systems, e-reserve systems generally..

Tessa Bruce
University of the West of England, Bristol
E-mail: t-bruce at uwe.ac.uk