kiosks and disenabling features

Brian Kelly b.kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 15:32:04 EST 1996

> Elisabeth Roche ace at opus1.com wrote:
> >Basically, we need to design or give our specifications to the software
> >developers and get a good product for kiosks, not another "work-around".
> >Maybe that is exactly what everyone on this list should respond with, the
> >wants. Then we can present them to Netscape or Oracle or Microsoft or
> >whoever. I personally would love to see a list of this type, human-computer
> >interaction and design is a personal study of mine.
>
> I'd love to see this too.  But I suspect that the public-access Internet
> kiosk market is both small and under-funded enough to discourage commercial
> development.  I'm considering putting together a grant proposal to develop
> such a package for freeware distribution.  I would like to know what others
> on this list think of this approach.
>
> The package might be a stand-alone browser (built as a revision of Mosaic),
> or it might be a utility that asks a series of questions and then
> modifies/configures Netscape accordingly.
>
> Other suggestions?  Specific feature requirements?
>
> Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director

I understand that the W3C community is promoting the notion
of a modular browser.  The current generation of browsers, such as
Netscape and Mosaic are regarded as too monolithic.  If you are
putting together a proposal for funding, I would suggest that you
try and contact a W3C guru.  I suspect that using the Mosaic source code
is the wrong place to start.

Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly
Netskills         - see http://www.netskills.ac.uk/
Computing Service
University of Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne        B.Kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
NE1 7RU                    0191 222 5002