100% - 80% = ?

Brian Kelly b.kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 12:16:35 EST 1996

>  I consistently
> see botched tagging which I know leads to unpredicatable or
> completely broken results with some browsers..

We have considering including a HTML validation link in our document
templates.  For example see:

http://www.netskills.ac.uk/staff/kelly/kelly.html

and click on the icon at the bottom.

It would be nice if there were a number of HTML validation
syntax and style checker CGI services available.

Regarding the problems with use of proprietary tags, I think the
model of ever-increasing numbers of formatting tags is wrong.
I think style sheets will kill off that approach.  See the W3C's
press release of 6th March at

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/960305_News.html

in which the major vendors announce support for style sheets.

If style sheets to prove as useful as I think they will, it will be
interesting to see how much resources are spent by organisations
removing redudant formatting tags:-).

Brian kelly
Brian Kelly
Netskills         - see http://www.netskills.ac.uk/
Computing Service
University of Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne        B.Kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
NE1 7RU                    0191 222 5002