Unaffiliated users and library internet access

Susan Lee suelee at dns.mcn.net
Wed Mar 20 21:22:40 EST 1996

We hope to put in a CD-ROM LAN next fall and connect the LAN to the
internet. This will be a small LAN about 4 terminals (at first) The campus
computer committee needs to come up with guidelines about who has access
to the internet from the LAN.

What the computer committee needs to know is how other academic libraries
(particularly private) restrict or don't restrict internet access via
CD-ROM LAN or OPAC.  Do you grant internet access to anyone who comes into
the library?  What types of access are available?  Do you restrict access
to affliated users? If you grant universal access, how do you keep kids
from getting into things that could get you arrested.

Since we are a university, I would strongly reject any attempt to impose
net nanny or any other parental tools onto the library system.  But if we
don't restrict user access, are we liable if someone's child finds the
Playboy website?  I'm sure some academic libraries have wrestled with this
issue and I would really like to know how you handle it.  Thanks.

P.S. There is internet access via the local public library so we aren't the
     only game in town.

       Sue

 %     Susan Lee                        %
 %     Information Services Librarian   %
 %     University of Great Falls        %
 %     Great Falls, MT 59405            %
 %     slee at ugf.edu                     %
 %     suelee at mcn.net                   %