Web link checkers

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu
Wed Mar 6 16:44:48 EST 1996

> Does anyone know of a good link checker that can be downloaded for free?

Try:

http://lot49.med.miami.edu/~mdorman/checklinks.html

It's a perl script, and it's available under the GNU Public License (in
other words, it's copyrighted freeware).

The version that is currently available requires perl 5.002, though I have
an only slightly older version that works with perl 5.000.

I haven't tried running it on anything other than Unix systems.  I'm
currently working on revising it in various ways (mostly with regards to
making it easily configurable, which it currently isn't), but I doubt
it'll ever really be Unix-independant.  If anyone wants to try it on NT or
OS/2 (or even DOS, I suppose, though I'm sure it wouldn't be able to check
links going off-site), please let me know the results.

Its only real advantage over most other such tools (verify_links,
MOMspider, WWWRobot, etc) is that instead of using http to read and check
your files, it goes through your directory structure, looking at the files
directly.  If the accuracy of your web access logs is as important to you
as ours is to us, then that can be the deciding factor right there.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu           Louis Calder Memorial Library